[P1] OS X Help Please

Luke Hinman louis.hinman at attbi.com
Tue Mar 18 18:57:23 PST 2003

careful what you ask for...

chime in with you 2 cents...

O.k. so i was messing around with theme switcher in 10.2.4 and rebooted and
now all i get is a blue screen... it occasionally flashes the desktop
picture after the blue screen has been on a while. it starts with a chime
and gray apple and the rotating dots of os X. then it show the boot screen
with blue bar loading across then blue screen then desktop picture flashes
occasionally. i only have my os x developer tools disk and maybe a system
folder on a portable f/w hard drive. i am typing on dell x 200 right now
(ugh). my broke machine is new ibook 700. restore cd's are not with me.
thanks.

i booted into single user mode. i ran fsck -y, apparently i single user mode
the default is /sbin. it coming up with directory errors. the errors will
not clear after several tries. i am going to try the shift (i thought this
would only work on 9). if that does not work i will try fsck some more? i
have an internal drive with 9 on it. if i was dealing with my old wallstreet
or ti i would swap out the drives. What would be my best options if i can't
find my pack of restore discs? it is only a few weeks old, maybe i could
take it into the apple dealer and they can run first aid? whoa is me! thanks
for the continued help.

does anyone know what "overlapped extent allocation (file 257447d)" means,
under **Checking  Catalog file, when running fsck. can't fix? thanks. (p.s.
safe boot and cmd-op-o-f, reset-all had no effect. just blue screen, lots of
disc activity and flashing desktop pictures every few seconds...

i think it is the permissions that are
messed up. i think i have a resource folder permission or two messed up.
will disk warrior do permissions? i know, i will just go search for it an
check it out... i was just looking for any personal experience-advice i can
get. thanks.

o.k. i guess what i am saying is that i can boot it into 9. then go to
prefs, startup disk... then i see the 9.1 on my firefly hard drive. and then
the internal drive (x and 9.1(?) are available) i thought it was supposed to
be 9.2... anyway i select the x build and click restart... the gray x apple
comes on and the dots go round and round, then blue screen, then the boot
screen showing that it is loading some stuff (it is not taking as long as it
should during this stage)... then to the blue screen of death (no more
flashing of the desktop picture). i guess os 9 mac first aid can't repair
permissions if i boot of the firefly and try fixing the internal x build?
thanks.