I have a screw loose

Thomas Bridgeland tmbridgeland at ybb.ne.jp
Tue Mar 18 19:04:30 PST 2003

My 600 iceBook dropped a screw out of the top. Its the one just over
the ethernet port in the lid. (I only found it because it fell out
while in the case, and it stuck to the magnet in the front latch.)

I just got this book a month ago. It was sold as used, at a very low
price, but pristine in appearance, I think it was never touched, the
keyboard was spotless without a speck of dust under the keys.
But a screw dropped out, and when I put it back in I found that the
threads in the lid were stripped out. The screw just turns in the hole,
and pops right back out. I am holding it in place with a bit of clear
tape now   :--(   The other screws seem snug.

What should I do about this? If it were some cheap thing I would just
slather in some superglue and lock the screw back in place, but that
seems not quite right on an iBook. Besides, if for some reason I ever
wanted to take the top off, that would be a bitch to undo.

Is there ever a reason to take the top off? I doubt if the store would
spring for a whole new lid for just a loose screw, my guess is they
would just glue it back themselves.