Classic still won't start

Joyce Ranieri jranieri at twcny.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 04:08:11 PST 2003

> If you stick in your first Software Restore disk while booted in OS X,
> you
> can select to just restore OS 9.  Should work fine after that.
>
> Brian Fish
>  <X))><

Thanks, Brian, I'm not quite sure how to do this. OS X didn't come on
my iBook (it's too old). I tried to use my original Software Restore
Disk, but it wouldn't boot. Then I tried using the Software Restore
that came with my new flat-panel iMac -- I got part way, but when I
inserted the CD I got a message that this CD doesn't support this
computer -- and my only option was to quit.

> I would suggest you to open the Classic settings in the System
> Preferences
> for Classic and then choose Advanced . Using the possibilities there, I
> would try to rebuild the desktop first. If that trick fails, you can
> just
> troubleshoot it like 'normal' OS 9 by starting with extensions off and
> see
> if there are any strange Control Panels or Extensions in your Classic
> System
> Folder and move them out of their folder and have another go until you
> find
> the culprit, or perhaps you can delete some classic preferences. Hope
> it
> works!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kim

Kim, This didn't work either -- I get a System Error Type 102 message
-- and then Classic just hangs.

I booted in the Apple Diagnostic Disk that came with the iBook, ran the
TechTool diagnostics, and repaired errors. Classic still won't boot.
I've also tried changing startup disk to 9.2 and booting with
extensions off -- no luck. Other suggestions?

I created a new user under my son's name, and logged in under that.
Classic still doesn't start.

Joyce