[P1] Cell questions

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Fri Mar 21 10:55:57 PST 2003

Bruce Wood on 3/6/03 12:50 PM wrote:

> I don't currently have a cell phone, but if I could connect my iBook to
> the internet  via cell to send and receive email without too much
> hassle, I'd get one. And it has to be an iBook-cell hookup because the
> work I need to transmit is done on the computer.
>
> My questions: 1) How tricky is it to get the iBook working via cell
> phone (for someone who has had Macs from the beginning but is still
> relatively clueless), and 2) what cell phone would be the simplest to
> use with the iBook?

While checking out the new release of FaxSTF Pro for OSX, I found another
product that Smith Micro offers. QuickLink Mobile.

<http://store.smithmicro.com/buy/products.tpl?cart=104826951413999380&show=d
etail&--eqskudatarq=QLMMACEEC&MC=%20%20%20%20Wireless&prodname=QuickLink%20M
obile%20Kit%20for%20Mac%20OSX&%2A%2AwoTHE_PLATFORMdatarq=MAC#>

It looks like they support a number of cell phones and service providers.
For $59.95 you get their software and a USB cable to work with your specific
phone.

I also found this press release which indicates that QuickLink Mobile will
soon support Sprint PCS via a Bluetooth phone.

<http://www.smithmicro.com/press/presspages.tpl?cart=104826951413999380&rele
ase=mac030318>

While the press release refers to PowerBooks with built in Bluetooth, it
would seem logical that an iBook sporting a Bluetooth adapter would also
work...don't you think?

-Mark