[P1] Classic still won't start

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 08:29:37 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 07:25  AM, Joyce Ranieri wrote:

> No, I've NEVER done this, in spite of owning the iBook for almost a
> year. Did that first thing this morning and there were a LOT of
> permissions that needed correcting. Wow! I had seen discussion of
> this, but sort of figured that if I wasn't having any real problems
> with the iBook, everything was probably okay. Was I ever wrong!
> HOWEVER, that did not solve the problem.

Next, shutdown and hold down the shift key and reboot into X. This is
similar to what you do in 9 to start up with your extensions off, no,
probably more like using the extension managers to turn off all but the
apple extensions.

It's called a safe boot and will turn off any third party stuff you've
installed. Now try starting Classic. If it now works, you've got an
application or extension that's not playing right. Not an unusual thing
and one of the expected results in OS 9.

Which leads us to the question of whether or not you have an OS 9
extension that is causing the problem and freezing classic on startup.

If the above doesn't work, boot in to 9 and open the extension manager
and set it for opening only apple extensions.

Shutdown and boot into X.

Try starting classic.

If it now works, you've found the problem to be an extension in OS 9
that is the culprit. Odds are that something you added to OS 9 after
Sept is the problem maker. When OS 9 freezes on startup, it's usually
the last thing you added that causes the problem.

---

A follow up survey on the 66% of American's favoring a war with Iraq
showed that 0% of them were on the way to enlist for the war.

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com