Classic still won't restart -- continued!

Joyce Ranieri jranieri at twcny.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 09:18:01 PST 2003

> Next, shutdown and hold down the shift key and reboot into X. This is
> similar to what you do in 9 to start up with your extensions off, no,
> probably more like using the extension managers to turn off all but the
> apple extensions.
>
> It's called a safe boot and will turn off any third party stuff you've
> installed. Now try starting Classic. If it now works, you've got an
> application or extension that's not playing right. Not an unusual thing
> and one of the expected results in OS 9.
Great idea but it didn't work.

> Which leads us to the question of whether or not you have an OS 9
> extension that is causing the problem and freezing classic on startup.
>
> If the above doesn't work, boot in to 9 and open the extension manager
> and set it for opening only apple extensions.
>
> Shutdown and boot into X.
>
> Try starting classic.
Another great idea. When I tried to start Classic, I got the message
"Classic needs to update resources in your selected Classic system
folder, iBookHD/System Folder." I clicked on Update, and then got the
same bomb I've been getting all along.

Anyone still have any ideas or am I down to doing a reinstall? (I hate
to do this as it took forever to get things working on my school's
Windoze network.)

Joyce