[P1] ibook very sick

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Mar 23 12:19:25 PST 2003

On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 02:20  PM, Ron Reames wrote:

> Apple has been having a LOT of trouble with iBooks. The hinge is only
> one of the many problems. Since it's under warranty, get it fixexd.
> Then get AppleCare.

Unless you work for an Apple service provider or you are an Apple
employee and have access to information the rest of us don't have, I'd
like to know how came to this conclusion. Remember, lists and forums
are likely to be filled with questions about how to fix a problem or
pleas for help with diagnosing a problem. It is the rare person who
posts a message saying, "My iBook is now 12 months 8 days old and I've
never had a single problem with it." Then again, I just did.

My own experience pales to that of a service provider, but I will say
that where I work we have several mobile labs of both dual USB and
clamshell iBooks and we've had fewer problems with these than any other
notebooks we've used, Mac or PC. Perhaps our experience is the
exception but then again, when I meet with other iBook using
administrators our griping usually centers software problems -
especially MacManager. Most of our hardware complaints involve poor
battery life in OS X and rather flimsy keyboards - especially in the
original clamshell design. Oh, and we were bitten by some bad memory
cards when we upgraded to OS X but the vendor eventually came through
with replacements.

Good qualities are easier to destroy than bad ones, and therefore
uniformity is most easily achieved by lowering all standards.
  ~~ Bertrand Russell

David