[P1] Carbon Copy Cloner help (Answer)

Dan Farley danfarley at mac.com
Sun Mar 23 15:58:45 PST 2003

>> I had the same trouble. Everything I tried failed.
>> If you boot from your X cd and try to reset the password, you'll find
>> there are NO administrators there. You are locked out - permanently-
>> except as a user.
>> Bummer, eh?
>
> Yeah, I'd say!
>
> OK - I'll back up all my user data and do a clean install I guess from CD
> and then restore my stuff - what a pain

OK - decided to read the Carbon Copy Cloner 'Help' menu and brought up the
index and went to Faqs. The answer to the missing password was there.

> "Q(17): I've booted from the clone, but it presents me with a login screen and
> won't accept my password. What do I do?
> A: Occasionally (but rarely), the NetInfo database does not copy properly.
> Often this is because the target disk was not formatted before cloning. The
> fix is fairly easy:
>
> Reboot into single-user mode (hold down command+s during boot). When prompted,
> type:
>
> fsck -y
> [repeat until it no longer says that the Filesystem was modified]
> mount -uw /
> cd /var/db/
> rm .AppleSetupDone
> cd netinfo
> mv local.nidb local.nidb.bak
> exit
>
> As the system boots, you will get the Apple Setup Assistant. Enter your name,
> password, etc (be sure to use the same short name). You should be able to get
> in just fine now.

Tried it and it worked - then I reformatted to drive I was writing to and
found and it worked w/o above procedure. So I guess you always should
reformat before making a Clone.

At any rate

New Toshiba 40 GB, 5400, 16MB Cache is now installed and running perfectly.
Quite a speedup when launching programs is my initial impression. Cool

Dan