[P1] The modem has unexpectedly hung up...

William L Carr Jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Mon Mar 24 09:15:07 PST 2003

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 05:18  AM, GRABOYES at aol.com wrote:

> I have a duel USB 700 iBook running 10.2.4. Apple Internal 56k
> modem(v.90)
> Using Earthlink 56k dial up service, I connect every time at 49333bps
> but
> then hangs up in the first few minutes of use and I must connect
> again. This
> can happen many times before I get a good connection.
> If I change my modem script in System Preferences>Network>Modem to
> (v.34) it
> is very stable, the first connection sticks, but I only connect at
> 31000bps.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks and peace,
> Rich

The practical limit for 56K dialup is 3.5 miles from the distribution
point, based on the amount of line noise that accumulates.  DSL is
18,000 feet !   Cable has no practical limit other than whether you're
on a feeder or trunk line and how many other users are on that line.

At work we're 3.4 miles from the Telephone Switching office  and
therefore can only sometimes login at higher speeds.  When we did get
faster connections they'd collapse soon anyway from line noise.

The modem you use matters too.   If you go buy the identical modem your
ISP uses you'll have better luck with stability.   For example, if they
use Diamond Supra, you should too.

Or turn down your speed to v.34 and leave it there.    Until you can
get Satellite Internet or Cable.

Jkirk

"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the
slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin