ibook very sick

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Mar 24 20:26:30 PST 2003

> From: "Ed Wiser" <ewiser at bellsouth.net>
>
> I had an iBook with a pinched backlight cable.
> All you have to do is look at Apples iBook fourm in the Display
> section to
> see the problems.

Nobody, least of all me, said anything denying that SOME ibooks have
had problems. What I *did* say is that it is inaccurate to say that
"most" iBook owners have had this problem, or that "lots" of iBook
owners (which clearly implies a majority) have had this problem.

Apple has sold MILLIONS of those iBooks. Twelve of them are within my
client base. To date, ONE client has an annoying creaky hinge (no video
problems at all). The rest are all doing fine. Even if we count the
creaky hinge as a "problem," that's 1 in 12, or about an 8% failure
rate.

Sure there are owners who have had pinched backlight problems. Hard to
say how many, but at a guess I'd put the number in the low hundreds,
based on how many have complained about it on the Apple forum (the
logical place for it). Might even be a few thousand. Out of the two or
three MILLION sold of those models.

Is it a big deal? If you're one of the owners affected by the problem,
then definitely yes. Even if you're not, if the problem rate is high
enough it can concern you. But I really don't think the
pinched-backlight problem has gotten anywhere near the levels needed to
describe it as a "common" problem that affects "a lot" of customers.

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com
http://filmmoi.blogspot.com