[P1] ibook very sick

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Mar 25 01:34:13 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Charles Martin wrote:

> > From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
> > How recent is "these days"? I bought mine in January. Is it the
> > magnesium
> > frame borkne failure mode?
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand any part of that second sentence.

Upgrade your parser (it was typed over a loaded ssh link). The sentence
should have read: ``Is it the "magnesium frame broken" failure mode?''

> By "these days," I was referring to "since the last round of improved
> iBooks came out." I can't recall offhand when that was but you can take

Since I bought mine in January, the hinge problem apparently still
persists.

> it as "so far this year" if you like. I'm in close touch with service
> providers in this area and keep a sharp eye out on what repeated
> problems they are seeing.

Do you think that apart from the hinge having a two years lifetime when
running all the time (albeit mostly with display off) is realistic? I have
no experience with notebook hardware, especially one from Cupertino.