[P1] new iBook problem...

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat May 3 06:12:13 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 01:43  AM, Fran Dollinger wrote:

> I had already checked the cdrom...empty. I'm gonna open her up
> tomorrow and double check on the RAM I installed, thanks Brian. Seems
> strange though cuz it ran fine for the whole first day I had it back.
> The sound did seem to come from the hard disc........

How about the fan? When the ac is not on my tibook fan comes on and
makes a whirring noise. Startup and wakeup can be disk intensive and
cause a lot of heat generation from the cpu and drive.

You can check the fan idea by choosing a time when the whirring does
not occur and then performing some activity that is cpu and drive
demanding. If you hear the whirring, it is probably the fan. Hold your
hand over the exhaust port and see if there is a heavier flow of air
than before, oh, do this before running the test.

---
Using a Merlin C201 Sprint Wireless Modem Card in a Titanium Powerbook
G4 and getting 123.1 kilobits per second downloads...almost 4X faster
than dialup. The salesman said it wouldn't work in a Mac...

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com