[P1] Clamshell Can Indeed Take 512 RAM

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 6 02:51:02 PDT 2003

On 5/6/03 11:39, "F. Hill" <fhill at gci.net> wrote:

> I purchased 512 RAM chips for two of the earliest iBooks: the original
> 300MHz blueberry (upgraded to 20GB) and the next-to-original 366 MHz
> gray (purchased used, later upgraded to 30GB).  Neither has firewire;
> they are indeed the original iBooks.  The 512 RAM chips fit perfectly,
> and I do notice a difference in many areas now that I am running the
> iBooks with so much extra RAM.  I use OSX 10.2.5  and OS 9.2.2 on both
> iBooks.  I consider the early clamshell iBooks to be collector's items
> now and would not think of getting rid of either one of them.

But how much ram is the computer using? I had a graphite clamshell, it maxed
at 320 MB. It's very possible that you put in a 512 MB card but that the Mac
can only use 320 MB.

Go to the Apple menu > About this Mac and see what it says...

Kirk

      My forthcoming book: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line
                     http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .