[P1] Clamshell Can Indeed Take 512 RAM

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue May 6 03:22:45 PDT 2003

On 5/6/03 12:16, "Dan Farley" <danfarley at mac.com> wrote:

> I have done the 512 meg upgrade  and replaced the HD with a 40 GB model to
> an original 300 MHZ iBook. It works great and uses ALL the ram in both 9.2
> and OSX. Apple specs are rarely revised to reflect current state of affairs.
> When written - 256 was the largest memory stick available. Additionally, I'm
> fairly certain you need one of the latest 'firmware' updates (available from
> the software update control panel) to take advantage of 512.

That's a bummer - one reason I sold my graphite was because of the 320 MB
limit. Since the main processor handles the graphics, it was just too slow.
With 640 MB it might have been more usable.

Kirk

    Author of: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line (Sept. 2003)
 Co-author of: Macworld Mac Upgrade and Repair Bible (April 2003)
 Co-author of: Microsoft Office v. X Inside Out
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .