[P1] display original clamshell

Jason Bennett jpbennett at mac.com
Tue May 6 10:15:18 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, Johannes Hoffmann wrote:

> hi,
> I have an graphite clamshell SE running OS X. I'm quite satisfied with
> it. The only issue is the display. First of all it could be more
> bright. When I work outside (especially in sunlight) it is very hard
> to read sometimes. And then, of course the resolution could be higher.
> So here my questions:
> 1) How bright are other iBook displays when working outside? Perhaps
> my display is getting "old". Anything I can do?

 From my experience, that lighting problem plagues every model of the
iBook. It's the nature of the display -- while it's plenty bright in
room-lit conditions, placing it in direct sunlight washes out the
display. At the same time, your display may be losing brightness. I can
only suggest that you take it with you to an Apple dealer, and put your
machine beside a newer iBook. If your iBook is dramatically dimmer, you
may have to consider replacing the lighting tubes in your display. This
is a cheaper alternative than replacing the entire screen, although it
does require a little surgery. You can find more info at:

http://homepage.mac.com/friesen/CCFL.html

> 2) Is there any change to replace it with a higher resolution display?
> I think the graphic chip should be able to run 1024x768 and the size
> (12.1") of the new iBook screen could fit ....

I can't help you on that front, but if you dig up some information that
you can indeed perform such an upgrade, please post it to the list as
I'd be interested in learning more about it!

> (I like the design of the clamshell, so switching to a new iBook is
> not what I want).

I'm with you on that one!

Jason