Is it possible to connect to a Windows shared printer?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue May 6 12:32:06 PDT 2003

> From: MRH <macmike at famvid.com>
> Here is my
> question. Does anyone make a firewire to USB 2.0 adapter?

Apple themselves will be making one soon, but it's proprietary to the
iPod and won't be usable with anything else (nonstandard plug on one
end).

>  I have been seeing
> in Wal-Mart various items for sale that want USB 2.0 and at a good
> price.

Wal-Mart = totally evil. I wouldn't buy anything from them if they were
the last store in town (and in many towns, they are -- which is why I
hate them).

>  If
> someone has an adapter that might then be a good option.

I imagine someone will make them in time, but they will have several
drawbacks (no power to devices, no independent operation, slower than
FW800 etc). You'd really be better off paying the few extra bucks and
getting a FW version, or better yet a FW *&* USB2 version if available.
That way, no matter how the technology evolves, you're covered.

_Chas_

Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal, 24-Jan-03 , commenting on Apple's
growing arsenal of hardware, OS and software that is clearly superior
to anything in the Windows world: "It's like someone forgot to send
them the Resistance is Futile memo."