Faxing in OSX

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu May 8 21:02:42 PDT 2003

> From: Brian Olesky <brian4 at sbcglobal.net>
>
> Can one phone line actually be split 4 times, accommodating a dsl
> modem, a
> standalone fax, an internal modem and a home phone line? Without
> degradation?

Sure you can. The DSL doesn't interfere with anything.

Bear in mind, though, that if you use one phone line for all this, only
ONE of the other three services (phone, fax, modem) can be in use at a
time.

THAT is why people get multiple lines for their home -- so that they
can receive a fax AND be talking on the telephone (or talking and using
the computer modem, or faxing and modeming -- you get the point) at the
same time.

> If so a whole lot of people (including me) are wasting a whole lot of
> money
> having multiple phone lines coming into their homes and offices.

Most people ARE wasting money on multiple phone lines. If you're
currently paying for a second phone line primarily for dialup internet
use, you really should look into DSL or cable. You'll get vastly faster
connection, always on service -- for LESS money than you're paying for
that second phone line + dialup internet costs!

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.