.Mac membership

gooddogcomics at mac.com gooddogcomics at mac.com
Sun May 11 06:36:16 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 07:07 PM, iBook List wrote:

> I am fortunate in that I don't, at the moment, have to worry too much
> about the cost; I think those that do would need a more thoughtful
> reply than this. I too bought at the bargain price after using the free
> service for some months.
> I shall renew my membership for an easy, reliable service. I like the
> webmail interface and the way it works, though I don't use it that
> often.
> I like the easy posting of photos from iPhoto to the web and to Mail.
> I have bought email accounts for a couple of members of my family and I
> like advertising the Mac in my email address (when it suits me:) )
> It doesn't do Apple any harm to support this service.
>
> I am aware that I could get all these things more cheaply elsewhere,
> but it suits me to use it and I shall cough up for renewal.
>
> Andrew

There's been a thread of thinking around the fact that, Yes, you can
get these services cheaper elsewhere, maybe, but the whole package from
Apple, with the ease of use and what not, is the selling point.

I'm sure I haven't used the membership to any of it's potential, but
that's typical for me and my ocmputer experience: I take a while to rev
up.  I had my Newton MP 2000 for over a year before I became a
slathering, drooling, crazed Newton user.  So it seems, to me, there's
much lurking beneath the surface of the .Mac service.  The Home Page
part seems pretty interesting to me for things other than home photos.
It could be a good place for resume/portfolio display, for instance.
Maybe I'm too green to get that this isn't a big deal.

Can anyone comment a little more on these matters?  Of course, you can
write me privately.

Thanks.

Mark