[P1] Help : imovie 2 for iBook SE firewire

Kim Gammelg å rd kim.gammelgaard at get2net.dk
Sun May 18 04:57:41 PDT 2003

On 17/05/03 22:58, "Jack Rodgers" <jackrodgers at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Why doesn't 3 work on the older iBook? Perhaps all that is needed to to
> upgrade 3, the first version released really stunk. As long as she has
> a 800x600 or larger monitor, I think it will work.

iMovie 3 demands at least 1024*768, and just because you think it works it
simply fails to load on any Clamshell iBook (like mine, btw). iPhoto just
tells me that it doesn't support the screen size and then keeps working, but
still works.

I have no idea why Chas is so harsh about this Apple freeware, but in this
case Apple blew it. Offering 'upgrades' that render your iBook unusable and
then pulling the only solution, i.e. the download of iMovie 2. The solution
that you can just install the restore is not a good one, as a number of
restore CD's Apple made(I haven't checked lately, but I will find one, if
necessary for the argument), will reformat your harddrive before installing
anything, and if you are on a 600*800 iBook, there is no built-in way to
backup your files. Go figure.

I should mention, however, that the Software Update doesn't even try to
install iMovie 3 on the iBook, so at least they thought so far, but I can
easily figure how it happens: installing iMovie three demands a lot of disk
space, well let's throw 2.1.1 out and install 3 instead. Oh, iMovie 3
doesn't work - bummer.

Cheers,

Kim