iPaq h54540 and a Mac

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 12:54:57 PDT 2003

I have used my new iPaq for a week now and am quite happy with it. I
bought the HP keyboard, which is a fun thing to open and close, so that
I can leave my Powerbook at home yet still be able to surf and write
and plan. The iPaq takes up about 1/6th or so the space of the
Powerbook and fits nicely in a small gadget bag.

I was driving around in the rain today watching the little red arrow
(me) move along the map. I created a destination and in a few seconds
it had plotted a suggested way of getting there. I deliberately
deviated and watched as it plotted a new course to follow And again.
And again.

And it spoke to me. Turn Left in 600 feet. Kinda hard to do since I
would have to cross 3 lanes of high speed traffic.

The Navman unit ships with a unit to mount on your windshield via
suction cup. The maps seem to be about 5-10 years old with some
restaurants and roads missing. Maybe there is an update somewhere.

I like the iPaq better than any Palm style pda I have used. It's maps
are way superior to the ones on the Palm OS platform. It syncs more
reliably and changes in the calendar, etc. are synced just as soon as
they are made.

Some times lugging a Powerbook or iBook is not convenient, so a pda is
the best answer. I bought Filemaker Mobile andso I can take a number of
my databases with me but cannot modify the databases on the iPaq.

---

If you have a Florida Driver's License, Florida will sell your private
information, including Social Security Number. To block this sale,
visit:
<http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/DPPAInfo.html>
JackRodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.JackRodgers.com