[P1] iPaq h54540 and a Mac

Robert Crawford robertc at clancrawford.us
Sat May 24 08:16:13 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 08:32 US/Pacific, david wrote:
> Don't waste your money on PocketMac. It is, without doubt, the worst
> decision I made.

I had actually been considering it.  I am was looking at the PocketPC
products.  I currently have a Sony Clie S320 that is getting old and
showing it.

I have used the PocketPC device I got for my wife and I like the way it
handles external memory.  There are workarounds for palm external
memory, but they are just that, workarounds.  The result is that I
cannot keep the number of reference works I would like to keep with me
(my manuals from work, that I use daily, are available in PDF).

One thing I am totally sold on with the palm is Palm Desktop, it is
better than any other I have tried.  It is leagues ahead of the
scattering of apple substitutes (address book, iCal) and  I am much
more comfortable (probably from over 5 years of usage) with it than I
am with the desktop that comes with officeX (also there still isn't a
palm-entrague conduit so it just isn't worth the trouble).

I was really considering PocketMac, what was the trouble that you had
with it? the biggest trouble I see is in installing software (that will
always be a bit of a bear with windows based installers).