[P1] OK drive for icebook swap?

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Tue May 27 15:45:00 PDT 2003

> It's 5400rpm, but I'm hoping the fluid will offset the extra heat.  It's
> hard to beat the extra speed AND 16MB of cache.  Anyone have any advice,
> cautionary tales, or other info on the subject?  Also, how might it affect
> battery life?

I suppose my, "Where can I get the plastic piece I broke?" thread might serve as a bit of a caution.  ;^)  I've put together an x86 tower from scratch, replaced the transmission in my Jeep three times, and this swap was, at the very least, more difficult than I'd expected.  I believe if you could get a "pro" who'd done it before for < $50, I'd go with it.

That said, I don't believe you could have done any worse a job than I did and my iBook is surprisingly still working, keyboard issues aside.  And having four times the hard drive space has been great.  Finally space for the tunes, and good-sized partitions for a few versions of OS X (iBook is an OS X Java app test box for me).

Be careful with the plastic piece holding the keyboard ribbon, *do* tape your screws to your print-out of the parts list, and use a credit-card to get the case off.

Good luck.  If you're this far along in your thinking, you're probably going to do it no matter how negative I get [so I won't].  Knock yourself out!

Ruffin Bailey