Sleep or Shutdown?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue May 27 22:26:42 PDT 2003

> From: Pat D. Stephens <patdart at cox-internet.com>
>
> Can anyone tell me what these functions are?  I bought maintenance
> disks, but am scared to use them and haven't needed it except for
> 'fixing permissions' since Dec.  What IS maintenance in OSX?

Please allow me to make this exceptionally easy for you.

1. Go to versiontracker.com or macupdate.com and download a program
called "Cocktail." It is free of charge.

2. Run the program, and put in your admin password when asked.

3. Proceed directly to "Auto Pilot." Check everything OK, then run it.
Takes 5-20 minutes depending.

4. Repeat this procedure about once every month or so, or after any
major system upgrades.

That's really all you need for "routine" maintenance, though I would
also suggest investing in DiskWarrior3 when it's widely available.

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.