[P1] To Partition or...!

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu May 29 12:35:04 PDT 2003

On 5/29/03 2:31 PM, "Stephen Hywyn Jones" <Steve at hywyn.plus.com> wrote:

> I've been advised that "partitioning" is the only way to go, but given that
> ibooks now install both operating systems in the same sector as default, I'm
> hoping that their advice is based on old knowledge, and that the new ibooks
> and operating systems are less prone to crashes.
>
> Ultimately, this is what I want to avoid, - any crashes during a performance
> (for which I'll be using the ibook) could be,.....well!
>
> I'm also curious of something Apple Tech Support told me, -  that
> partitioning tears the disk, and slows the read/write times substantially.
> Would this be something to be concerned about?
> I'll be using my ibook 800Mhz 14" along with a firewire audio interface as
> an audio playback device, streaming 8 channels of 16bit audio for an hour
> long live set.
> I've thought that a seperate, daisy-chained firewire drive, despite being
> another device to hook up, may be a safer option. Unless that puts a strain
> on the only firewire buss the ibook has.
>
> I'm a little in the dark here so any help would be much appreciated!

The long and short of it is simply this: There appears to be no compelling
reason to partition your hard drive for OS X. When I got my new G4 I made
the decision not to partition and later when I got a new iBook I again
didn't partition. This was after being an avid proponent of partitions. Now
I've tested OS X with a partition just for data and I've tested it giving OS
9 its own partition. In neither case did I see any speed advantages or
disadvantages.

Now having no partitions and only one drive does have one disadvantage - if
your computer won't start up you don't have another partition to select as
your boot drive. On the other hand, I've not yet needed this functionality.
My iBook goes everywhere I do and I've yet to have any problems with it.
Also, if you download lots of files and throw most away, or perform similar
tasks, you might want to consider using a disk image to reduce drive
fragmentation.

I can't speak to the issue of a partition reducing speed other than to say I
never saw such a thing. If you are doing DJ work you might want to consider
an iPod. I've seen several local DJs using them for that purpose.

david

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com