[P1] To Partition or...!

Mary Keene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sat May 31 21:25:22 PDT 2003

>> I'm also curious of something Apple Tech Support told me, -  that
>> partitioning tears the disk, and slows the read/write times
>> substantially

acutually, one of the best reasons to partition is to divide ther disk
into smaller pieces so searches are restricted in scope and
consequently faster. Ther other primary, original reason for
partitioning revolved arouond disk size

Back in HFS file days, all hds were divided into the same number of
sectors regardless of the hd's pyhsical size. As a result, a 2 kb file
would totally tie up a 64kb sector even if it never got any bigger.
That left a lot of open wasted space. Partitioning served to downgrade
the minimum sector size by downgrading the HD into partitions which
were smaller thus permitting more complete use of the space available.

Additionally, the larger HDs were spacious enough to divide into
partitions so people who wanted to isolate their major working OS from
as much problems as possible and to make clean installs and backups
faster and easier, were able to confine everything to one partition.
After copying the few essential files from the OS, they could wipe the
partition and reinstall the OS in minutes versus hours if full hd
backup were required.

If the data files were also confined to a partition that contained data
only and no apps or OS files, then backup was easier, more compact and
faster. I also kept a partitiono just for applications. That partition
rarely had any problems because after installaation, no more files were
added to the app. I used the data partition as the scratch partition
and only had to change something in the apps partition when I wanted to
delete or upgrade an application.

Since OSX has the efficient archive and install option, needing a
separate partition for it is less necessary. Because HFS+ files solved
the sector size problem, again partitioning is less necessary.
Partitioning now because a choice for specific reasons as opposed to a
work around for hardware limitations or software problems.

With X, I will probably still continue to use partitions because I can
isolate os 9 (which I will still use for a while) from the rest of my
files  to make its maintenance easier and more efficient. Because X
makes it easier to put data files where I want them to go, I will  also
probably keep a data partition for convenience in backing up. I don't
have to remember to scour the drive for files stuffed in the system
folder.

One good reason to partition still exists today. If you want to play
with other OSs or OS configurations (or new software apps, ie, Quark
people may want to set up a partition with InDesign and/or an OS to see
how it compares with QXP and not risk mixing the files up or if the
software app is a demo that is systemically invasive, you can wipe the
partition and remove all system files without losing your working
system when the demo expires)  without involving your bread and butter
files and apps, a partition will make this possible. Then if trouble
for beta files occurs, you can wipe the partition and reinstall at the
last working configuration and try again without jeopardizing your B N
B files and OS