[P1] Battery life issues

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 3 05:51:23 PST 2003

On Oct 31, 2003, at 1:55 PM, Brian Pearce wrote:

> Before you to go to those lengths (and I'm not entirely convinced this
> is necessary), I'd try the recommended steps that come up whenever
> this subject is discussed; run the battery down 'till it goes to sleep
> and then charge it, zap the PRAM, and so on. Some have even suggested
> jumping two connectors on the battery to reset the built-in circuitry.
> There's also a file in Library-->Preferences-->SystemConfiguration
> called "com.apple.PowerManagement.plist," that you can try deleting,
> and then reboot. One report even suggested turning off the indicator
> in the menu bar.

Thanks to all who replied, especially Brian Pearce (no relation, that I
know of). I tried all the above last night and it still will only give
me about 7 minutes on a charge. I did an archive and install of 10.3, I
zapped the PRAM, I reset the PMU, I trashed the PowerManagement.plist,
I turned off the indicator in the toolbar, and I pulled the battery out
and put it back in. About the only thing I didn't try yet was to bury a
dead cat under a stump in the cemetery under a full moon while chanting
the pledge of allegiance to the flag backwards. I haven't tried a
complete new install of 10.3 yet, either. I am about to the point of
concluding that I need a new battery. However, I am afraid that if I
get a new battery and it turns out to be an issue with settings in
10.3, that I'm going to end up with a battery life of 7 minutes on the
new one as well. Before that, however, does anyone know which terminals
to short out? What do I have to lose?

Charles (no relation to Brian, that I know of) Pearce <charlesp at ksu.edu>