[P1] 17" Laptops

Alric J. Lam Alric.J.Lam at Dartmouth.EDU
Mon Nov 3 18:20:46 PST 2003

Not to say this has anything to do with your case, so please don't flame me, but I've found that if you buy more expensive (and generally higher quality) parts for the PC, you generally have less interface problems, usually because those higher priced items have better support and more extensive testing, and generally are from more established companies that have drivers signed by Microsoft, etc.  Of course this isn't always the case, but this is how I've avoided problems in general when I've had to own PC's in the past, after learning several times by buying no name CD drives, RAM, etc.  Indeed, Apple's got a better system, by strictly controlling the quality of peripherals available for the Mac, but sometimes, it is nice to have the options available in the PC world.....

Of course, its only my 2 cents.

Al

--- You wrote:
It took approximately 2 minutes to put in an airport card and connect to the internet on my new iBook. I didn't need any tech support and barely any instructions. It almost installed itself <G>.

It took me over 11 HOURS to put in a wireless pc card and connect to the internet on my daughter's PC and about 7 hours to do the same on my husband's pc. I was on the phone with tech support for approximately 5 hours total. I was in tears by the time I got them working. And lost a weekend to it.
--- end of quote ---