[P1] 17" Laptops

Fred Stevens K2FRD K2FRD at stny.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 18:31:27 PST 2003

At 18:12 -0800 03/11/03, Pam Sorooshian wrote:
>It took approximately 2 minutes to put in an airport card and
>connect to the internet on my new iBook. I didn't need any tech
>support and barely any instructions. It almost installed itself <G>.
>
>It took me over 11 HOURS to put in a wireless pc card and connect to
>the internet on my daughter's PC and about 7 hours to do the same on
>my husband's pc. I was on the phone with tech support for
>approximately 5 hours total. I was in tears by the time I got them
>working. And lost a weekend to it.

Similar story with my Dell Latitude CPi300 laptop. When I obtained
it, it's screen only displayed a 400 by 600 pixel window; there were
no other options in the display control panel. It took me four hours
to locate a driver which worked to enlarge the window to its full 700
by 1100 (about) screen size. Both Microsoft and Dell couldn't decide
what the driver was to be called:  screen, display, video, colors,
monitor, and other terms were all used interchangeably and
confusingly. I finally took a shot in the dark, lucked out and
downloaded a driver cryptically labelled "Neomagic Video Driver for
NM2200 version A06" which enlarged the window to the full screen
size. I have other horror stories about long efforts identifying and
finding the correct drivers and other basic software for my various
PCs in order to get them minimally functioning.

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/K2FRD.htm