[P1] OT: Canon Scanner (was How to apply for lawsuitsettlement? & Panther on 366)

W. J. Morrow wmorrow at twcny.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 22:01:43 PST 2003

> ----- On 11/3/03 11:03 AM MDT (-0600), W. J. Morrow
> <wmorrow at twcny.rr.com> wrote, in part:
>
>> I have been using a Canon LiDE 30 scanner for almost a year now and it works
>> great in OSX. I do not have Photoshop 7. I use Canon's free CanoScan Toolbox
>> for scanning. No problems at all. It will also scan through Photoshop
>> Elements, but that is not needed to scan.
>>
>> Bill
>
> I have a Canon FB630U USB scanner. Since I have a 15" PowerBook on order,
> and will be using OS X for the first time, I went to Canon's web site. It
> indicated there that the driver software cannot be installed unless
> either Photoshop (7, I think) or Photoshop Elements 2.0 were installed
> first.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Harry Corsover

I can't speak to the FB630U scanner, or what Canon told you, but I just
verified that I can run CanoScan Toolbox X with my LiDE 30 without using any
Adobe Photoshop product whatsoever. I can scan and then open the picture in
iPhoto. It can be run in classic, but I run it in OSX exclusively. In my
experience, Canon has done a fantastic job supporting OSX.

Bill