Fonts Won't Install; Fonts Confuse Me

Fred Stevens K2FRD K2FRD at stny.rr.com
Sat Nov 8 09:29:48 PST 2003

I don't know if there's any font junkies on the list, but I'm a
wannabe and like a wide variety of fonts available. There's a LOT of
fonts already in OS X, but the way they are organized and accessible
(or not) confuses me. Also, when I download and try to install a
font, I can't get it to appear in Appleworks no matter where I
install it although it MAY appear in TextEdit. Mac Help didn't help
very much except to tell me how it is SUPPOSED to work, but doesn't;
i.e. per Mac Help, "To install a font, drag it into the font file of
the Library in the OS X System Folder in Mac HD". They don't appear
when I do this. First, however, I need some clarification on fonts in
general::

Fonts are stored on my machine in four separate locations:  (1) In
the Library in the OS X System Folder in Mac HD; (2) In just the
Library in the HD; (3) In the Library under my Username in Users on
the HD; and (4) In Appleworks Extra Fonts in Applications on the HD
(these seem to have to be moved to be accessible). When I click onto
Text in a word processing document within Appleworks or Text Edit,
not all fonts from the first three locations show up in the pull down
menu. Why not and what can I do to make them appear? Wouldn't it be
better to have them stored in one location (I'm the only user of my
iBook 900)?

It used to be there was only one type of font:  ttf. Now, there's
four in one grouping and two in another:  dfont, otf, ttf, and suit
(for suitcase), and LET Fonts and ITCTT. When I download a font, it
doesn't matter (or it didn't before) what the font's format was; I
had a tt converter. What's the difference and how should I use or
apply them or otherwise treat the font type when I install them?

I might add that I had added many fonts on my last machine using OS
8.6 where they were installed in only one location (System Folder).
When I moved folders to this new iBook, many came with the move, but
not all are showing up.

Anyone able to help me out of this perplexing situation or know a
site which might explain fonts in detail?

Thanks!
Fred