[P1] Fonts Won't Install; Fonts Confuse Me

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Sat Nov 8 17:42:20 PST 2003

On Nov 8, 2003, at 12:29 PM, Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

> I don't know if there's any font junkies on the list, but I'm a
> wannabe and like a wide variety of fonts available. There's a LOT of
> fonts already in OS X, but the way they are organized and accessible
> (or not) confuses me.

This drove me nuts, too. From what I've read, really the *only* place
you'll want to put fonts is in the Library-->Fonts folder in your Users
folder, or your Classic System Folder-->Fonts, if you use them in
Classic or in OS 9. The "Local" fonts folder doesn't apply to you as a
single user, and the "System" fonts folder is best left alone; some
applications will refuse to launch without the proper System fonts
installed, and others will just look funky. (I don't use Appleworks,
but it sounds like the "Appleworks Extra Fonts" is more a place for
fonts to be filed away, to be installed elsewhere.)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net