[P1] Fonts Won't Install; Fonts Confuse Me

Fred Stevens K2FRD K2FRD at stny.rr.com
Sat Nov 8 19:28:51 PST 2003

At 20:42 -0500 08/11/03, Brian Pearce wrote:

>This drove me nuts, too. From what I've read, really the *only*
>place you'll want to put fonts is in the Library-->Fonts folder in
>your Users folder, or your Classic System Folder-->Fonts, if you use
>them in Classic or in OS 9. The "Local" fonts folder doesn't apply
>to you as a single user, and the "System" fonts folder is best left
>alone; some applications will refuse to launch without the proper
>System fonts installed, and others will just look funky.

Looks like you're right. Played around with a bunch of fonts which
weren't showing up anywhere and moved them to Classic OS (9) - System
Folder - Fonts. some showed up instantly, others after a Restart.
Even though I had changed the Ownership/Permission from System to Me
on all the font folders, many of those in System (X) - Library -
Fonts still weren't showing up, so I moved some of the more
interesting fonts to Classic and they are now showing up in
Appleworks 6 (for OS X), even with Classic OS 9 not open.

>  (I don't use Appleworks, but it sounds like the "Appleworks Extra
>Fonts" is more a place for fonts to be filed away, to be installed
>elsewhere.)

Yes, just for storage.

I'd still like to learn what makes fonts tick.

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/K2FRD.htm