[P1] Times RO font question

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Mon Nov 10 01:03:08 PST 2003

Tom R. no spam wrote the following:

> Hmmm, I've done specific tests on each of DSL and cable, & for
> more than one cable provider, & in different states, and when
> setting up a Wireless LAN which was tied directly into a big
> T1 pipe (a T3 or the big optical??, I forget now), and when
> myself having a numerical IP similarly tied directly into the
> big pipe, and I have found that showing a DNS server in my
> iBook's Network SysPrefs could be the only difference
> between connecting by url vs only by specifying numerical IP
> address.  Also theory seems to say this is how things are.
> So I'm not sure what is meant by "the ones that will count"
> here.

I've never used cable modems so I am not sure how that is done and / or if
it differs. (I mean seriously, I live in the UK where they only have 3-5 TV
channels let alone cable set-ups!) I'll get flack for it but I can't
resist...there are some small pockets of cable available here.

Sorry, maybe I am wrong, but at least on my set-up I have to place DNS
server info as well as other parameters such as MTU size, etc...in my
Netgear combined Router/DSL modem.

By my comment 'the ones that count' I was mentioning that unless these DNS
server settings are correct on my router/modem hardware the browser will not
resolve the address at least some of the time regardless of what is showing
in my system prefs. panel.

If you are using some other configuration such as a modem only interface
(with or without Airport) to the net then you may only need the settings in
system prefs.

What I was wondering is: does Pat has a gateway / router / other hardware
device in front of the airport and if so, what settings are listed there? Do
these match the ISP recommendations (or are they even automatically sent by
the ISP and no interfacing is required)? Otherwise if it is strictly a
'modem' then you are correct the settings in system prefs are the ones to
worry about and check.

Hope this clears up my previous post.

Richard