[P1] New iBook User, Questions

Brandon M. Bost bbost at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 13 14:24:00 PST 2003

On 11/13/03 6:44 AM, "david" <davidwb at spymac.com> wrote:

> First, the seller of the computer should have given you the system restore
> disk along with the computer. Contact the individual and request them. Some
> time ago in a move I lost my installation CDs and Apple sold me a new set
> for a more than nominal fee. If I recall properly, it was about $50. I
> assume they'd do the same for you.
>
> Second, given that it is used and has OS X 10.3 on it, and that you don't
> have the Panther (10.3) system disks, the seller has illegally installed the
> OS and kept the disks for himself/herself to install on another computer.
>
> You can certainly try contacting the seller and attempt to get the original
> restore disks (which shouldn't be an issue) and the Panther install disks (I
> suspect s/he will laugh in your face.) But I suspect you are going to be
> stuck with purchasing Panther on your own. And if you intend to use Classic,
> you'll also need either the restore CDs or a copy of OS 9 as well.

Thanks for the advice.  The place that I purchased it from is a local Apple
reseller that does business with a lot of the local companies in the area.
My particular iBook was a trade-in, and apparently the former user didn't
have any of the CDs.  This could have been the case if the company hardware
tech was in charge of any extra CD's that came with their new computers.  I
might try to call Apple and see if I can get a restore CD at least.  As far
as the additional software, I will probably try to get a CD burner and copy
the software folders directly to the CD even though I'll have to wait a
while longer before I can get the money to get one.  By the way, I would
hope to make a really good backup of everything just in case something
happened, and the only access I have to a CD burner is on my PC.  Is this
idea feasable:

1) Make, using Toast (which came on the computer as well, I have no idea why
since it doesn't have a CDRW...maybe it had an external one...) an iso of
most of the stuff on the harddrive
2) Using a crossover cable, transfer the files through the ethernet ports
3) Using the CD burner software on my PC, make backup CDs with the ISO
files?

Would this work, and how could I go about doing this so that they would work
on my Mac?  Or, if anybody has a better idea (which, for the moment, buying
a CD burner is out of the question at least for a few more months) please,
let me know.  Thanks again.