[P1] adding Panther question

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Sun Nov 16 19:08:49 PST 2003

> how do i go about putting it onto the computer without
> losing OS 9?

Just follow the rules for installation that will be included with the
package. Lots of easy to follow instructions for anyone in your
situation.

> do i need any pre-exisiting OS 10?

Not if you buy the full package. If you were to order an "upgrade" CD,
you'd need to have (I think) 10.2 installed.

> will i be able to choose which OS boots up ?

Yeps. OS X has a "Startup Disk" interface very similar to OS 9.

> any guess when an updated CD will be available with all the patches?

To the best of my recollection, there's been just one or two; a
security update, and an update to 10.3.1, both of which can be quickly
downloaded through Software Update, and aren't all that big.

If at all possible, do as thorough a back-up as you can before you
install; not because of any inherent weakness in OS X or 10.3, but
because it's just a good idea before *any* major installation.

You may also want to spend the five bucks on this eBook
<http://www.tidbits.com/takecontrol/panther/upgrading.html>; it's
intended more for people coming from OS X than OS 9, but there's common
sense stuff that might be of use.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net