Hard disk problem?

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Mon Nov 17 02:29:02 PST 2003

Ok firstly, here's my specs:

- iBook 466SE
- Stock 10Gb drive
- 320Mb ram
- Mac OS9.1

The last thing I installed on this computer was 'The Sims' last Thursday.
Weird things happened straight after. When I started the machine up, it got
to the desktop screen, then I got the cursor change to the little clock with
the arm whizzing round (as it does when its busy), and it stayed like that,
as if caught in an infinite loop.

So I did a soft reset (Ctrl-Apple key-power). It started again, the same
thing happened each time. It always effectively got stuck in this loop upon
reaching the desktop, but before loading in the control strip.

I restarted, space barred into the extensions manager and switched the
control panel off. That didn't solve things.

Eventually I went to the base set of extensions and created an all new set
based off that. I thought everything was fine as the Sims was working then,
and I've experienced no other problems.

All through this, Disk First Aid would examine the drive and report repairs
as being completed successfully.

Then this morning I run DFA, and it tells me the HFS wrapper is FUBAR, and
that I should back up all my stuff, and restore the machine.

I clicked on 'repair' on DFA, and it apparently repaired things. I double
checked by running Techtool Lite, and that reported no problems also.

So what I'm wondering is, was this FUBAR report an anomaly? Or is it a
portent of something bad about to happen?