[P1] Hard disk problem?

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Mon Nov 17 03:31:44 PST 2003

On 17/11/03 11:09 am, "Dan Farley" <danfarley at mac.com> wrote:

> I will say that IME complex games seem to make systems less stable.

I did wonder about that. The Sims installer implied that it would only
install the game itself, quicktime and something else if necessary. I'm
already using Quicktime 6, and the Sims had four or five on it, so it didn't
install that. I've never had a problem installing games on this before, and
I've put on it:

- Sim City 3000
- Tomb Raider TLR
- Diablo II
- Age of Empires II
- Escape from Monkey Island
- Total Annihilation
- Airburst
- Lots of old games from the Macintosh Garden

So I wasn't expecting anything untoward.

I thought the problem was software, because when I restarted with extensions
off, the iBook reacted just fine. And then this morning DFA gives me the
report about the wasted HFS wrapper thing. But now it appears as if its
fixed it. I don't know, all I do know is that I've got a lot of projects and
essays to do and I don't need the thing flaking out on me.

Luckily we have an iMac too, so I'm using that for all things essential now.
Perhaps I'll completely wipe the iBooks HDD when all my business is safely
behind me. Real pain that it should happen now though.

Would solid state memory suffer such a problem? C'mon Apple, 60Gb compact
flash hard drives as standard from now on please. Make a real statement :)