[P1] Desaturated Colors

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Wed Nov 19 05:49:33 PST 2003

On Nov 18, 2003, at 9:45 PM, Dave M Wyman wrote:

> Jack Rogers wrote:
>
>>> That's the nature of the beast and a problem since crayons were
> invented.
>
> Apple's default setting for an LCD screen is probably not the one you
> want. Try RGB or sRGB which gives deeper colors. There is a lot more
> theory involved and I am not competent to explain it. But I have
> decades of similar experience seeing color photos with a blue tinge,
> red tinge, etc. What one does is learn the rules and play accordingly.
>  Welcome to a subject with a lot to learn.<<
>
> That wasn't the answer I wanted, Jack. I don't mind that there might
> be certain color shifts between computer monitors, but I'm not happy
> with the idea that my iBook desaturates colors, which seems to be the
> case. It means I have to duplicate images and pump up the color so
> that I can show them on my iBook, while using the original images for
> use with my digital projector. Which means more work.
> Dave

Dave:
After I upgraded to Panther, I noticed that my display looked
washed-out (white iBook w 12.1" display). I went to System Preferences
 > Displays > Color > Expert Mode. The "Expert Mode" check box is tiny
and went unnoticed by me until the second or third run through the
calibration process. In Expert Mode, there are a number of steps one
takes to set the display to taste. After doing so, I found my display
to be as saturated and crisp as I remembered it. I can't vouch for the
location of the "Expert Mode" checkbox in anything but Panther, but it
could be there. Hope this helps.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)