[P1] OT: Please everyone on the list do me a small favor..

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Thu Nov 20 06:55:01 PST 2003

On Nov 20, 2003, at 8:22 AM, Mike Beede wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2003, at 5:07 AM, ShardAerithes at aol.com wrote:
>
>> All you have to do is go here: http://www.kstatecollegian.com/oial/
>>
>> and vote for Moyer-Deetjen. The team of Lynn and Stohs posted theirs
>> to a message board to increase their votes, so I've come to you guys
>> for help.
>
> Since Lynn and Stohs didn't post to *this* list, I voted for them.
> Six times.  I suggest everyone else do the same to discourage this
> kind of message in the future.  Perhaps if the poster had gone
> to the trouble of pretending this was on-topic (e.g., they both
> are rabid Mac users or they're going to be married over iChat
> or something) I'd feel differently, but this is no better
> than getting another anatomy-enhancement offer except I actually
> read it since I'm not used to spam on the iBook list.
>
> 	Mike Beede

I'm embarrassed and ashamed to say that this is a contest being run by
the student-run newspaper on my college campus--the Kansas State
University Daily Collegian. My guess is that someone just sent the
first email out to every address in his/her address book without first
checking to see if the email was going to individuals or lists. The
contest must be a pretty big deal (I am unaware of anything other than
that there is a contest) because an article in today's Collegian
mentioned that there was voter fraud in the form of IP spoofing. If the
contest runners will accept votes from anywhere in the world by linking
to a web site, then it doesn't appear to be a well-thought-through
contest. But then, we go to great lengths to point out that this is a
student-run newspaper and, as such, will make mistakes from time to
time. I don't usually put my entire signature when posting to this
group, but by doing so, you will see why I am particularly embarrassed
by having that message go out to groups such as this.

Dr. Charles Pearce, Associate Director,
A. Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications
105 Kedzie Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-1501
785-532-3964 or FAX: 785-532-5484