Price Laws - was iBook Sleeves

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Sun Nov 23 00:52:22 PST 2003

On Sunday, November 23, 2003, at 01:40  am, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2003, at 7:51 AM, Mike Beede wrote:
>
>> They've never given me
>> the price off the rack, though.  They're definitely members
>> of the problem set, not the solution set.
>
> The laws may vary but when I went to buy an item the register price
> differed from the great big card viewable from anywhere in the store.
> I used my stern voice and said that the sign said...blah blah. The
> cashier was a bit intimidated and called the mgr over who was faced
> with my stern demeanor. They checked the sign and I got the lower
> price.
>
> I think Florida has a sticker price or advertised price law that may
> have helped, don't know about other states.

There's a law in the UK (possibly throughout the EU now) that says that
if the price on an item is wrong, the retailer either has to sell it at
that price, or withdraw it from sale and not sell it at all (presumably
so they could re-label the items). What they're not allowed to do is
charge a higher price at the till.

Tom Burke