[P1] Tmobile hotspot

William Carr jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Mon Nov 24 10:07:27 PST 2003

On Nov 23, 2003, at 8:04 PM, Peter Nacken wrote:

> Anyone using this service ??? Is it any good ? Fast ? Has firewall
> restrictions ???

> My biggest problem is that I do not even drink coffee and try to avoid
> mcdonalds as much as possible (evil temptation)

I used it at the local Borders Book Store.   It's quick, but seems slow
compared to my sister's cable modem.  Which means that if you want to
download a 500 MB movie it's still going to take hours rather than
minutes.

I hit no Firewall restrictions.   Your first use generally gets a free
day pass.

It's easy to use.  You turn Airport on.   You start your browser,
Safari in my case.   Your Mac looks for any connection and finds the
Airport, and then somehow the browser gets redirected to their login
page.

There was just one problem.   They bill for Pay As You Go at  $6 for
the first hour, and 10 cents per minute thereafter.   I closed my iBook
for a few minutes, re-opened it and went back to surfing.   I didn't
have to login again, nor was there any indication that I ever logged
out.

I got billed for two one hour segments and ended up paying $15 instead
of $10.     I appealed this and am waiting on a confirmation, it's been
about a week.

Of course if you pay monthly this will be a non-problem.

Do you imply that there are McDonalds restaurants that have hotspots
now?

Jkirk

> Side effects of using Micro$oft Windows have been headache, nausea,
> broken bones, asthma and are similar to the sugar pill. Women who are
> pregnant or might be pregnant should not use Microsoft Windows. Please
> consult with a medical professional before deciding to use Microsoft
> Windows.

See our ad on MSNBC.