[P1] Bluetooth experiences cell phone to iBook ?

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Mon Nov 24 11:31:36 PST 2003

Peter Nacken on 11/23/03 9:00 PM wrote:

> Has anyone here bought one of those bluetooth adapters to connect the iBook
> to their mobile phone ???
>
> On all the reviews that I am researching about e.g. The sony ericsson t610
> (which tmobile seems to give away for free) all I read it PC software and PC
> connectivity  ...  I just really wonder WHAT I could do with a BT enabled
> iBook and a BT phone ...

I recently upgraded to a Siemens s56 Bluetooth (BT) phone at Cingular. I
then purchased a Belkin BT adapter to sync with it. So far it has worked
very nicely using Apple's iSync. I like the s56, but to be honest, I picked
it because it was the only Bluetooth phone Cingular offered that was on
Apple's list of compatible devises, at least at the time I got it.

I had a Handspring Visor PDA and was using the Palm Desktop software with
it. For the most part all I did with the Handspring was contacts and
appointments. 99% of the time I did all the entries into the Palm software
on my iBook and then synced it with the Visor. Frankly, a majority of the
time I would forget to take my Visor with me since I take my iBook
everywhere. It seemed like a waste. So I got the s56, synchronized
everything to it, and gave the Visor away. In 4 months I have yet to miss
the Visor. I can now check upcoming appointments on my phone and I get an
alert when an appointment is coming due. The contacts list everything (phone
numbers, address, company name, email etc.) just like the Visor did.

iSync allowed me to sync the Palm software with Apple's iCal and Address
Book. It them synchronized those with the phone. I no longer use the Palm
software since iCal and Address Book handles pretty much everything.

I also picked up a Jabra BT200 Bluetooth headset. It's pretty nice not
having a tether dangling and snagging. You can answer/end calls with the
touch of a button and use voice recognition to dial calls, all with the
phone still on your belt (or in your pocket, etc).

Unfortunately when I have the thing hanging behind my ear most people don't
realize that I'm on the phone. That or I look like a mental case walking
around talking to myself :^)

Next I'd like to figure out how to use the phone as a wireless modem. I
notice that "USB Bluetooth Modem Adaptor" is one of the network port
configurations (in System Preferences;Network) but it's grayed out and I
haven't had time to play around with it yet.

-Mark