[P1] Equipping new iBook G4

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Mon Nov 24 11:55:38 PST 2003

On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 07:27  pm, Peter Nacken wrote:

> Hey Gang and happy anniversary .. I have been on this list now for 3
> years
> (and with mac computers) and I still feel like a newbie :)
>
> Anyhoo ... We want to buy a new iBook G4 for my wife .. With airport
> and
> extra ram ... Now .. We will be traveling around a lot when we get to
> the US
> .. So I wonder if anyone knows if these kind of extra installations
> can be
> done in-store while-you-wait ... (as I get it, the new airport card is
> not a
> self install .. Not sure about ram)
>
> One pal told me that one apple store asked for 80$ to install the
> airport
> card, which I find outrageous ... The apple website does not indicate
> anything like that .

I'd be surprised if the airport card was not a user-installable option
- it is on everything else.

Yep, just checked apple.co.uk, and they clearly describe airport
extreme on the G4 iBook as 'user installable'. In the case of my
Powerbok it fits into a slot accessed by removing the battery. The only
fiddly thing about it is attaching the lead from the aerial to the
card, but as long as you've got decent fingernails (end eyesight) it
goes on fine.

Tom Burke