Can-Do! iBook!

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Wed Nov 26 08:59:26 PST 2003

A Rah Rah post for how great our iBooks are:

My iBook was a wonderful tool for me over the past 15 months of
ownership (700MHz, 12"). I purchased it as my "dissertation computer"
while I completed my Ph.D. Of course, it has been a wonderful computer
for everything else I do with computers, but that was its job, and it
did well. I ran heavyweight statistical analysis programs (SPSS and
JMP) on it, wrote using Word (ugh, only because my committee chair uses
Word, otherwise I'd have used Appleworks), did graphs using Excel
(stopgap, I'll be producing final graphs using a stand-alone package,
probably). It was way portable, so that when I decided I needed to
sequester myself to work over the summer out of town, packing up my
dissertation meant taking the books and articles I was focused on and
the iBook. So extremely easy to take with me *everywhere* I went. I
could be at the bridge club writing a paragraph before playing that
evening. Over at my girlfriends writing a page or three. It went with
me easily. Connecting it to the internet wherever I went was a snap.
I've found open airport (WiFi hubs) that were clearly available for
patron use (such as a Ameritel hotel in Twin Falls, Idaho) and maybe
not for public use (such as Fiddler's Elbow bar in Sugarhouse area of
Salt Lake).

But, it really shone this past Monday in my defense. One of my
committee members was out of town (300 miles distant) and we wanted to
include him by webcam. He is a Mac fan also, and was going to use his
G4Powerbook at his home to tune in through iChatAV with my iSight
camera set up in the middle of the conference table. I used Keynote
presentation software for my talk. Both were running simultaneously on
my trusty iBook and both ran flawlessly. We connected a couple of
external speakers because the iBook's are not powerful and he was able
to participate fully.

The only problem I ran into was with Keynote's file. I wanted to send
it to the remote person and it just didn't want to send, no matter what
I tried. Web mail methods failed. Mail failed, blech! Turns out Keynote
files are not single files, but actually some kind of Unix package of
documents (quicktime movies, image files, text files, etc... all linked
up somehow). I discovered this when I loaded it onto an FTP site and it
appeared as a folder with all these documents inside it. Wow! If I
hadn't been blearyeyed with lack of sleep, I would have thought to Zip
it... anyway, that wasn't the fault of the iBook.

The iBook was a workhorse and champ: Streaming continuous video and
audio while running presentation simultaneously... Wow!

When we lost our remote person for a second and he reconnected the
iBook announced his return and I was able to quickly invite him back.
His image and mine appeared for a moment on the projection screen (Oh
yeah, the iBook was, of course, driving a projector for the
presentation) and several observers were heard to say: "Cool!" They'd
never seen such easy webcam software.

Oh, and I passed: By tradition, I'm now allowed to be called, "Doctor."

Paul