[P1] conserving battery life

Brandon M. Bost bbost at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 10:04:33 PST 2003

On 11/26/03 9:35 AM, "Video International" <videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp>
wrote:

> Here's one that may stump ya.
>
> I'm taking a long flight and want to watch some personal inflight
> movies (tv shows actually).
> Which will give me more viewing time running on a battery?
>
> a) watching mpegs directly from a data DVD.
> b) copying the mpegs from the DVD to my hard drive to play
> (will have to delete afterwards due to limited space).
>
> Anyone know?

Well...theoretically, a RAM disk would give you the best battery life, but
unfortunately you probably don't have 4.7 GB of RAM in your iBook.  You
could, if they're relatively small, make a 200mb ram disk and copy each
individual show to them when you want to watch them.  That would probably
yield the greatest power.  Out of the two options, I'd probably say to copy
them to the HD because Quicktime would buffer them to ram first, saving HD
spinning.  Just theorizing.  Please, if I'm wrong, correct me.