bad AppleCare experience on video repair

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Wed Oct 1 09:03:39 PDT 2003

I'm asking for reports:  Have people seen this?
If you'd could report "yes" or "no" it would either
encourage me to pursue the issue or maybe just
accept this to-me substandard display.

I've just had an unpleasant experience with AppleCare.
My 12" 16VRAM iceBook has been left with a deranged
display for about a second at the end of OSX (10.2.6)
startup, at the end of the gray screen, _before_ the
quick flashes and change to the blue background.  It's
different every time and seems to happen every time.
It started when they replaced the main logic board
to fix a totally deranged video, and 2 returns (for
this and to attach the trackpad they'd left loose)
got no fix.  Repair says it is "commonly seen" in
iBooks.  I've never seen it on my or on other iBooks,
nor on any other Apple computer.

The visuals can be like big black blocks or bands at
various places on screen, the apple logo being like
split up and the slices separated (think Steve Jobs
would treat that as acceptable?), overall screen
darkening, various dotted lines across the screen, etc.
It is grossly obvious if you're looking at the screen
at that time during startup.  Not very impressive,
like showing up for a job interview with a big piece
of food stuck in your front teeth when you first smile.