[P1] Surprising Disk Warrior Results For Almost New iBook 900

William L Carr jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Thu Oct 2 11:06:28 PDT 2003

> DW and Norton do comepletely different things. DW does volume wrappers
> and such to do with the Hard Disk and Norton repairs files. Where
> people run into trouble with Norton is when they install it's numerous
> applications and features on the Drive. I never install Norton or DW;
> I boot them from the CD.
>
> Both Norton and DW are needed for drive and file maintinence.
>
> Roger

Not to get into a flame war...but Norton has a bad reputation.

I bought Norton Anti-Virus years back.  It apparently caused File
Thread damage.   TechTool couldn't fix it.  Disk First Aid, of course
not !   So I borrowed a copy of -- guess what?   Norton Utilities.
Apparently it could fix the damage NAV did.   But I was still worried.

The only safe option was to back up and reformat.   I ordered an ORB
drive, which failed the first day.  I sent it back, and a week later
the HD failed.    Once reformatted, it worked okay, so it wasn't
hardware related.   Oh, by the way, I don't recommend ORB drives.  I've
owned three so far, and they all failed.

Others have told me they don't trust Norton.   And as there is the
option of DiskWarrior for directory maintanence and Techtool for files,
Norton isn't a necessity.

Jkirk

"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the
slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin