[P1] OS9 compatibility on latest models?

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 9 04:16:05 PDT 2003

On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 06:58  AM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

>> Check Apple's web page for what ships with the computer. So far all
>> new
>> Macs ship with OS 9 installed and OS 9 CD.
>
> That's so not true! They ship with OS X and OS X CDs, and all but one
> or two
> models won't even boot into OS 9.

Simply because they won't boot into OS 9 does not mean OS 9 is not
installed on the Mac. You might refer to it as Classic but that is the
enabler that lets OS 9 run under OS X. (You do have the option of not
installing it or removing it, as I have done.)

 From <http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html>

The PowerPC G5, however, offers a seamless transition to 64-bit
performance: Current 32-bit code — such as Mac OS X, the Mac OS 9
Classic environment and existing applications — runs natively at
processor speed. With no interruptions to your workflow. And no
additional investment in software required, period.

... iSync, DVD Player, Mail, EarthLink, Acrobat Reader, Classic
environment and Apple Developer Tools

Jaguar installs OS 9, most often referred to as Classic...

Panther will also contain Classic (OS 9).

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/>  Classic technology supports
most of your current Mac OS 9 applications

---
I am not afraid to make mistakes. In fact, I have become fairly
competent in that regard.

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>
JackRodgers at earthlink.net