[P1] Panther OS 10.3

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 11 05:05:04 PDT 2003

> So I'm not anticipating much of an
> improvement in performance for my iBook (but I'll be thrilled if it
> happens).

I think at the very least you can expect Preview to be much much faster.  I've been a little upset with slow pdf performance on OS X up until now, and that app has been heavily optimized.

There's also the graph on this page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/
... that suggests everything, even for non-Quartz Extreme capable boxes (like our 500 MHz and slower iBooks), will see a slight speed boost drawing windows with 10.3.  If it's as good as the 10.1 to 10.2 swap, it's appreciated.

Mail.app threading should be nice.  That's a "must-have" feature that I've been thinking about adding to my trialware app (what I'm using to write this); should be very nice.  Fast user switching is bonus, as I like to use my iBook wirelessly for the family outside of the office.  Of course Expose looks neat.

All in all the fact that I want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the underpowered iBook means that I'll probably be picking up a copy.  Hope it's not as people have guessed and that Apple will be collecting a yearly $129 tax, however.

Ruffin Bailey

--
If you subscribe to email lists, you *need* The Digest Handler!!
For Mac OS X and Windows 98-XP  |  http://digestHandler.webhop.org/