[P1] iBook and DVD movies

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Oct 12 14:38:02 PDT 2003

Ken Anderson wrote the following:

> One more question though has been raised about the sleep mode.  I have
> heard that it is best to be in sleep mode for the security checks thus
> making for fast approval but I wonder as to how that affects battery
> life?  Is the sleep mode affected by open apps at sleep time or does it
> not matter?

To be honest you can let that iBook run in sleep mode for most of your trip
and not notice the difference...the only thing would be the fact that it
would make it easier to gain control of your machine should it be left alone
in the hotel room or otherwise...making it necessary to log out first and
only then putting it to sleep but it depends on what the main priority for
you is (security vs. convenience and power consumption). If you can recharge
the battery in between in the hotel or otherwise it is wise to log out
before letting it sleep in order to protect your data. (do not do this for
the plane trip though because it will require more battery power and it
should be in your sight at all times on the trip anyway.

Lately I have noticed that the security people are not asking to see the
laptop working anymore but it could still happen. (maybe they just realise
that terrorists are not likely to destroy such a nice object! But
whoaaa...you there with the Dell, step away from the computer and...)

BTW, many people on this list do not turn off the computer after each use
but simply put the iBook to sleep and jealously look at the following
terminal command every now and again...only restarting when an update comes
along...it can be very hard to press the restart button though when you get
the iBook to show that it has been running for a few weeks or longer!

uptime <return>

Cheers,

Richard